By | January 15, 2024

Standoff Video Released by Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department

The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department has made public the video footage of a 33-hour SWAT standoff that took place in the Steele Creek area last year. This move comes after WBTV’s Chief Investigative Reporter, Nick Ochsner, went to court to obtain the videos.

The body-worn camera footage captures an incident that occurred on March 11, 2023, on Griers Fork Drive. According to the CMPD, officers responded to multiple 911 calls at 8 a.m. that day, reporting a person outside who was threatening to kill his neighbors and the police. The suspect, identified as Anh Thai, 32, was known to the police from previous encounters.

Upon arrival, officers attempted to make contact with Thai, who refused to come out of the house. It was later discovered that he was armed with a firearm. Recognizing the seriousness of the situation, the CMPD SWAT team was deployed at 11:30 a.m., while crisis negotiators continued their efforts to de-escalate the situation.

At around 5 p.m., Thai emerged from the front doorway of the house, wielding a handgun. In response to the perceived threat, a SWAT officer fired a single round, which did not injure Thai. Subsequently, Thai retreated back into the house, and negotiators persisted in their communication with him throughout the night and into the following morning.

By 1:30 p.m. on March 12, Thai finally surrendered and was taken into custody by SWAT officers. The CMPD has confirmed that no criminal charges will be filed against the officer who fired their weapon, as the shooting was deemed justified.

The released video footage offers a comprehensive view of the incident, including the initial response, the use of a robot to enter the locked house, and the extraordinary measures taken to resolve the situation, such as tearing out the entire front of the property.

This development came to light after WBTV received a call for help from the woman whose home was destroyed in the incident. Despite her plea, the city refused to cover the repair costs.

For a more in-depth report on this matter, tune in to Chief Investigative Reporter Nick Ochsner’s coverage on WBTV News, airing on Monday, January 22.

In conclusion, the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department has made public the video footage from a 33-hour SWAT standoff that occurred last year. The released videos provide a detailed account of the incident, shedding light on the initial response, the use of a robot, and the efforts made to resolve the situation. Stay tuned to WBTV News for in-depth coverage of this story by Chief Investigative Reporter Nick Ochsner..

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *